Saturday , 7 December 2019
Naxcivan

Demirbulag Mosque. City of Irevan

In the early 20th century three mosques were recorded in Demirbulag area, which was formerly populated only by Azerbaijanis. The mosques were: Haji Novruzali bey, Haji Jafar bey and Demirbulag. As Demirbulag Mosque was situated near the bridge over the river Ghedar, it was also called Korpugulag (near bridge) Mosque. The two of them – Haji Novruzali bey and Haji Jafar Bey mosques fell victims to the general plan of Irevan city in the 1930s. The only mosque that functioned till 1988 was Chatirli mosque or Damirbulag mosque, the same name of the area it was located in. According to the inscription on the mosque, it was built in Hijri 1327 – 1909 AD. The mosque didn’t have a minaret. Instead, a small square of 1.5-2 meters high was built on the roof of the mosque in the open air and iron railings were installed on it. With respect to architecture, such mosques are usually referred to “Guldeste” (bouquet) type of mosques.
After emergence of Armenian separatism in Nagorny Karabakh in February 1988, continuous meetings were being held in Irevan. On February 23, 1988, Armenian vandals burnt the Demirbulag mosque and the building of Azerbaijani secondary school No. 9 named after M.F.Akhundov in Irevan city. But later, in order to demonstrate to the foreign journalists their goodwill towards Azerbaijanis, they painted the burnt walls of Damirbulag mosque to cover up the traces of the fire.
In 1990, Damirbulag mosque was razed to the ground, and a high-rise apartment building was constructed at the place of the mosque.

Check Also

«LES ARMES À NAKHİTCHEVAN PEUVENT DÈTRUİRE N’İMPORTE QUEL OBJET À EREVAN »: EXPERT MİLLİTAİRE

“Le succès de l’armée azerbaïdjanaise envers Nakhitchevan dérange sérieusement les Arméniens”. L’expert militaire Abuzar Abilov …