It is an archaeological monument located in the south-east of the city. In the scientific literature and among the people, it is known by the names \”Nakhchivan\”, \”Kohnagala\”.
During the years of 1957-1959 surveys conducted in the fortress, rich archeological materials, especially the pottery fragments, stone clubs were found. It is known form archaeological studies that even in the 3-2 millennium BC in the Bronze Age stone gurzs were used in salt mines. According to the Turkish traveler Evliya Celebi, Mongol invaders destroyed the fortress. French travelers Chardin and Frehang, who were in Nakhchivan later, remind that fortress in their works.
The tower has been in operation in the nineteenth century. Schematic plan of the castle was drawn in 1827. According to the plan, the castele consists of two parts – Kichikgala-Naringala and Boyukgala. There is an underground shelter-cave in the South-West of the castle where 300 people can be protected. A hole is opened in the upper part for ventilation and lighting. The secret way to the East from the cave, most likely, is to the river Nakhchivan flowing 2 kilometers away from the castle. Two wells of kehriz passing from Naringala is situated inside the fortress.
Nakhchivangala’s restoration began in 2010. Chairman of the Supreme Assembly of Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic has signed a decree on June 5, 2013, \”On the establishment of the Historical and Architectural Museum Complex Nakhchivangala\”. On April 7, 2014, with the participation of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, \”Nakhchivangala\” History and Architecture Museum Complex was opened.